Also Released - Music
- Mark Robertson
- 18 October 2007
• Various Off the Beaten Track (Mister Tramp) A dozen of Scotland’s most delicious new acts including Frightened Rabbit, Beerjacket, Evan Crichton and Galchen shine on this classy showcase from this potential-filled new label.
• To Rocco Rot ABC123 (Domino) Less is most certainly more in this succinct (21 minutes!) album of warm electropop shapes recorded to celebrate the 50th birthday of the typeface Helvetica.
• Ween La Cucaracha (Schnitzel) Dean and Gene return for their first album in four years with exactly what you might hope for: more delightfully addled psych-pop.
• Depeche Mode Ultra and Exciter (Mute) The final instalments of the remastering and beefing up of the Mode’s glorious back catalogue finishes with their last two albums replete with rarities galore.
• Straylight Run The Needles The Space (Universal Republic) This is what emo kids do when they grow up: make beautifully melancholic, melodic pop with a wily, unpredictable edge. Like Belle and Sebastian doing . . . Trail of Dead covers.
• Various Well Deep: Ten Years of Big Dada Recordings (Big Dada) One hundred and twenty months of magnificent hip hop releases condensed into one verbose two-disc package with Roots Manuva, Spank Rock and the much underrated Busdriver letting rip for old time’s sake.
• Chester P From the Ashes (Rawdog/ Chessmonster) This very nearly didn’t make it, a raw album of Brit rap rescued from the embers of the studio it was recorded in, voiced by one of Britain’s truly unique lyrical forces.