Wild camping spots in Scotland

Recommended spots for wild camping, including Calgary Bay, Easdale, Redpoint and Knoydart

Wild camping spots in Scotland

Scotland is one of the few places in the UK where it’s legal to wild camp, meaning there’s an unlimited number of remote and picturesque spots you can pitch your tent. We collected some of your suggestions (and a few of ours) of the most magical locations

There are so many great places to wild camp in Scotland but my favourite has to be around Calgary Bay on Mull. It’s such a beautiful spot with the beach and the surrounding green spaces. @AnnieMillar79

Redpoint, near Gairloch - you can pitch on grassy patches nestled between the dunes on the beach. @russellyface

Easdale - a beautiful wee hidden gem of a spot. @MichaelSince83

Gullane Beach is amazing but maybe not wild enough for you. @EricaLennie

Sourlies, on the banks of Loch Nevis in wild remote Knoydart. It’s only accessible by foot and there’s a herd of curious deer who regularly drop by. @GailTolley

There’s a great place to wild camp near Tyninghame right near the log cabin at Ravensheugh. Follow the path off down to the beach for maybe 15 minutes and there are a few potential places to camp. If you have a wee explore next to the woods there’s a great spot right next to the beach with shelter under trees, firewood and a bit of protection from the wind. @rhona_taylor

Round about Lochranza on Arran is great for wild camping, the distillery is nearby should you need any libation and the island itself is absolutely perfect for exploring the best of Scotland. @hollyclose

The back garden. @Redlee3000

If you’re planning to wild camp remember to follow the Scottish Outdoor Access Code outdooraccess-scotland.com

1. K Mawson18 Jul 2013, 5:48pm Report

Please, please do not publicise precious wild places to a worldwide audience. They will become unregulated campsites with no wild qualities left. Everyone should find their own wild camping places and then keep them a secret.

2. A.F-A23 Jul 2013, 10:07am Report

carolyne @treshnish ‏
We reached a new level in wild campers on Saturday night at Treshnish. A Belgian helicopter parked beside their tent...

3. patmadug22 Aug 2013, 10:06am Report

K mawson u got it right :-)

4. Mick Newlands1 Apr 2014, 1:04am Report

Camp anywhere you can find,ignore the above comments on keeping locations to yourself.I've been "wild" camping in the west of Scotland for 30 years,and have never had a problem with other people.It's the locals who make the mess !

5. rosslyn traynor12 Apr 2014, 1:52am Report

I have been wild camping fir twenty years I don't find I have to tell anyone my knowledge of nice places to camp excluding ( stag parties and certain fishing parties) Scotland is a beautiful country just get out and enjoy it while you can !

6. Ian Spencer-Brown3 Jun 2015, 2:29pm Report

7. Ian Spencer-Brown3 Jun 2015, 2:31pm Report

I am looking forward to spending some time in my ancestral home

8. Marsha Spears21 Jun 2015, 11:22pm Report

For fifteen years, I have spent my summers in Scotland hosteling and walking. This year, I decided to hire a car so I can finally see all the places that public transport or my feet couldn't take me. I want to wild camp, but can't find much info regarding such an experience. It is all very hush-hush. Not that I blame you, there are parts of Arkansas I know and love that I don't share with others. So, the question is: Do I just bring along my tent, sleeping bag, etc and pray for the best? Or, should I use this summer to locate good places to wild camp and return next summer wth my tent?

9. Leanne Louch5 Aug 2015, 6:29pm Report

We are heading to scotland in a few weeks and would like some tips on wild camping can anyone help please

10. Scott Brown19 Aug 2015, 11:14am Report

What selfish people you all are.

11. Damien Connor8 Apr 2016, 3:23pm Report

Hi, could anyone recommend any wild camping spots in the Eastern Highlands within a 20 walk from the car and possibly with some decent hills to ascend within earshot.

P.S. I would never worry about Scotland's wilderness areas being overrun by a mass of wild campers turning up: The inclement weather and wee beasties see to that!