Holly Willoughby: The Voice format changes are 'tough'
- Bang Showbiz
- 26 March 2013
Holly Willoughby insists the format changes on 'The Voice' are "tough", but the transformation is a great "last chance" opportunity for some lucky contestants to remain in the competition
Holly Willoughby says the new format changes on 'The Voice' are "really, really tough".
The 32-year-old star - who co-hosts the BBC One talent show alongside Reggie Yates - admits she was initially sceptical whether it would work having coaches stealing each other's acts, but insists the transformation is a great "last chance saloon" for some contestants.
She told BANG Showbiz: "The new format change is really, really quite tough. It's really tough, and at first I was like, 'Oh gosh, how is this going to work? How is this going to work?' But what's great about it is that the artist who comes through, it's like a real last chance saloon for them.
"But the only best way to describe this is remember last year there were the two guys [Bill Downs and Max Milner] who battled off against each other? I was like, 'I can't believe Bill has gone.' And there were loads of people tweeting about how unfair it was and, 'God, I can't believe this guy has gone.' Now in that opportunity we've given a situation where that person doesn't have to go, but it's down to the coaches to save them. You don't end up losing those ones. There are no ones who got away."
Holly believes the show is the "perfect" opportunity for musicians who have previously been successful in the industry and want to make a comeback without being pre-judged.
Speaking at the launch of the show's second series, she added: "'The Voice' is just an opportunity for anyone, not at face value, to have a crack at it. Because it's just all about their voice. If you have made a career out of it in the past then you can be judged straight away and maybe you don't get a fair go and I think that's why maybe this is the perfect show for them."
'The Voice' returns to BBC One at 7pm on Saturday (30.03.13).