Corrie musical composer vows show will go on
The troubled 'Coronation Street' musical will go ahead and be a huge hit, according to composer and co-producer Trisha Ward.
The 'Coronation Street' musical will go ahead.
Although the 'Street of Dreams' show's upcoming performances have been postponed, composer and co-producer Trisha Ward insists the musical, based on the ITV1 soap, merely needed some script tweaks and will return as soon as possible.
However, she admitted losing leading lady Katy Cavanagh, who was unhappy with the production, was a blow.
She told The Stage: The reason we could not continue with the tour is that, on Friday, May 11, we received an email saying our leading lady was pulling out of the production. She was unhappy about many different things, and to be honest, I don't blame her, as so was I.
"It's only postponed, as we appear to have a box office hit on our hands. We sold thousands of tickets for the opening night and thousands going forward. What we are doing is working day and night to resolve all the outstanding issues, and to put the amended show and script on stage for the thousands of fans queuing up to see it. Now things have calmed down, I am excited - or beginning to be excited - about the prospect of our original vision being put on to the stage."
Last month, following news of the show's postponement, Paul O'Grady, who played the narrator, claimed that a full script had not been in place in time for the production's opening, meaning he had had to "cobble stuff together".
However, Trisha says he merely rewrote her script, which she was not happy about.
She said: "Our star agreed to learn the script but completely overturned it in the rehearsal process. I saw this script that had been approved by ITV and written by myself and this top writer, Damon, disintegrate in front of my eyes."