Freddie Starr hospital dash down to dodgy egg?
- Bang Showbiz
- 15 November 2011
I'm A Celebrity ... Get Me Out Of Here's Freddie Starr was rushed to hospital yesterday (14.11.11) after eating a dodgy egg during his Bushtucker Trial against Mark Wright
I'm A Celebrity ... Get Me Out Of Here's Freddie Starr was rushed to hospital yesterday (14.11.11) after eating a dodgy egg.
The 68-year-old comedian - who underwent a quadruple bypass following a heart attack last year - was struck down with suspected food poisoning after consuming a fermented egg during a head-to-head eating competition with The Only Way Is Essex's Mark Wright.
After being ambulanced to Tweed Heads Hospital in New South Wales, medical experts diagnosed the funnyman with an extreme allergic reaction after he swallowed the revolting egg - as well as a pig's anus, turkey testicle and a cockroach milkshake - in the gruesome Bushtucker Trial.
An insider told the Daily Mirror newspaper: "Mark is fine, which suggests that this isn't down to anything Freddie ate. Then again, Mark didn't eat the cockroaches, the turkey balls or the fermented egg.
"The unpredictability of the jungle is what sets this programme apart from other shows. The element of jeopardy is always there. However, the celebs are watched 24 hours a day."
Freddie easily beat Mark in the trial, who physically balked when he was faced with the testicle and the milkshake, but the pair returned to camp to tell their fellow contestants they would be eating well as a result of their top performance in the challenge.
Mark told Freddie: "You are a lunatic! You would never have stopped."