Ofcom launches X Factor investigation
- Bang Showbiz
- 8 November 2011
Ofcom is to investigate 'The X Factor' following complaints over Frankie Cocozza's on-screen swearing and being filmed drinking alcohol
'The X Factor' is being investigated by Ofcom over Frankie Cocozza's conduct.
The TV watchdog has been inundated with complaints after the 19-year-old lothario swore prior to the 9pm watershed on a results episode last month, and has since been filmed out drinking, with viewers arguing his antics are "glamorising alcohol".
An ITV insider said: "Frankie is causing lots of problems, he is a young lad having fun, but he is pushing things to the limit. Now he has landed us in trouble. We just want him to settle down. Toning things down would help him and the show."
Insiders fear Frankie could now quit the show because of the abuse he has received for his antics and poor performances.
A source told the Daily Mirror newspaper: "Frankie disappeared during rehearsals on Sunday and by the time he was found he was saying he'd quit and wanted out. He is getting thousands of messages of abuse on Twitter and is fed up of being criticised every day.
"When Louis Walsh said he would 'never be a rock star' it really hurt him. He might look like he is loving every minute by drinking and partying, but part of that is for him to escape all the abuse.
"He was in a right state on Sunday and appeared to be cracking up after reading what people had said about him."
However, programme chiefs and his mentor Gary Barlow intervened and persuaded the teenager to stay.
The source added: "Show bosses including Gary Barlow had to sit him down and persuade him it was worth staying in the competition. He can still go on the tour and make a career."
Frankie admitted on Sunday (06.11.11) that he had been struggling.
He said: "I won't lie. It's been a tough week. I thought I was but luck was on my side."