Red or Black to be axed?

  • Bang Showbiz
  • 14 October 2011
Simon Cowell

Simon Cowell

Peter Fincham, director of television at ITV, says no decision has been made on whether 'Red or Black' will get a second series - but major changes must be made if it is to be recommissioned

'Red or Black' will only return if major changes are made to its format.

Simon Cowell's game show - which was fronted by Ant and Dec and had a £1 million prize - was heavily criticised when it aired on ITV1 last month, and network executives admit they are still unsure whether to commit to a second series.

Asked whether it will return, ITV's director of television Peter Fincham said: "I haven't made that decision yet. It is a big show. the sort of thing ITV should be doing on a Saturday night. [It's a show I] want to make some changes to . I'm nearly there, but not quite ready yet."

Peter admitted the show had had a "slightly bumpy ride", which is believed to be a reference to the fact a convicted criminal won the top prize as thorough background checks had not been carried out.

The programme - which had a £15 million budget - aired every night for a week, but one of the proposed changes will see it broadcast in a weekly slot.

A source who worked on the show told The Guardian newspaper: "The feeling is it might come back as a big Saturday night show but it's a question of how you work that logistically and make it work if it's just once a week. It's a big expensive show."

Despite Peter's comments, Simon has said he believes ITV are happy with the show.

He said: "ITV are happy and I think there will be a second series. We had 20 buyers last night and we've got three offers for a US version. I'd change a few things but the public like the show."

Comments