Red or Black thug to keep 1m prize
- Bang Showbiz
- 7 September 2011
Nathan Hageman will be allowed to keep the £1 million he won on new ITV1 game show 'Red or Black' - despite serving two-and-a-half years in jail for attacking his ex-girlfriend
Nathan Hageman will be allowed to keep the £1 million he won on 'Red or Black' - despite serving time in jail for attacking his ex-girlfriend.
The 31-year-old bricklayer scooped the jackpot on Ant and Dec's new ITV1 game show on Saturday (03.09.11) but it has since been revealed he spent two-and-a-half years behind bars for attacking former lover Amy Edwards.
Anti-domestic violence campaigners were urging the show's bosses - including Simon Cowell - to take the money back as when he auditioned he admitted he had been in jail, but claimed it was for breaking into a man's house and attacking him.
An ITV insider told The Sun newspaper: "We are kicking ourselves. We spoke to him about his crime but it never came up that it was against a woman. But we've been advised that because he has completed the show and won the cash we will have to pay him. Our hands are tied."
A spokesman for the show - which is co-produced by Simon's firm Syco - said: "Whilst producers were aware that Nathan had served a prison sentence for assault they were not fully aware of facts which have since emerged. As a result of this, ITV is reviewing the background checks on all remaining contestants in the show."
However, charity Women's Aid insist this is not enough and ITV should not be rewarding a convicted woman beater.
A spokeswoman said: "We are very disappointed with ITV's decision to still pay out. ITV should realise around 50 per cent of its viewers are women and one in four of those will have experienced domestic violence. What kind of message does this decision send out to them? We would ask ITV to reconsider and donate a substantial amount to a domestic violence charity instead."