Red or Black winner jailed for assault
The first millionaire winner of new ITV1 game show 'Red or Black', Nathan Hageman, served two-and-half years in prison for assault.
The first millionaire winner of 'Red or Black' served two-and-half years in prison for assault.
Nathan Hageman scooped the jackpot on Ant and Dec's new ITV1 show on Saturday night (03.09.11) but his win has sparked huge controversy after it was revealed he had been sentenced to five years behind bars after breaking into a man's house and battering him.
Former top police officer John O'Connor says ITV bosses should never have let Nathan take part because of his violent background.
He told The Sun newspaper: "It comes down to ethical considerations. They made the wrong decision. The only good thing is that the victim could now sue him."
However, Nathan - who won the huge payout after correctly predicting red on the spin of a giant roulette wheel after making it through to the final round - says he deserves a second chance and wants to use the money to turn his life around.
The 31-year-old bricklayer said: "This win hasn't sunk in - it was just hours ago that Simon Cowell had his arm around me and was telling me, 'Well done.' But I'm glad it's happened. I want to turn my life around. Three years ago I was in jail.
"I've been stupid and I did my time. I shouldn't be looked down on due to my past. Everyone deserves a second chance."
'X Factor' star Simon - who is the brains behind 'Red or Black' - said: "I think the money will make a big difference to Nathan and his family."
An ITV spokesman added: "Nathan was eligible to take part under the terms and conditions. Background checks were conducted on all contestants. We were aware Nathan has served a two-and-a-half year sentence in prison."