Lou Reed pays tribute to Woodie Guthrie
- Bang Showbiz
- 13 July 2011
Lou Reed and Rage Against the Machine's Tom Morello have recorded songs for a new album paying tribute to Woody Guthrie
Lou Reed and Rage Against the Machine's Tom Morello appear on a new album paying tribute to Woody Guthrie.
Late folk Legend Woody's daughter, Nora, and bass player Rob Wasserman have assembled a cast of musicians to record the tracks on 'Note of Hope', which are based on lyrics written by the musician when he lived in New York between 1942 and 1954.
Explaining the motivation behind the project, well respected session musician Rob said: "The words Nora found are timeless and more relevant than ever - it seems like Woody could see the future."
As well as 'Satellite of Love' singer Lou and heavy metal guitarist Tom - who has a folk side project, The Nightwatchman - other stars to appear on the record include rock songwriter Jackson Browne, poet and composer Michael Franti and folk singer Pete Seeger.
Explaining how they picked the musicians who appear on the record, Nora added: "Each of the artists we invited to collaborate were masterful writers in their own right, with a unique and distinctive voice that stands apart from all others."
'This Land is Your Land' singer Woody Guthrie is acknowledged as one of the most prolific and influential political singers of the 20th century, writing a number of popular songs reflecting the Great Depression era of 1930s America.
'Note of Hope' will be released on September 27.
'Note of Hope' Tracklisting:
1. 'The Note of Hope' - Van Dyke Parks
2. 'Wild Card in the Hole' - Madeleine Peyroux
3. 'Ease My Revolutionary Mind' - Tom Morello
4. 'The Debt I Owe' - Lou Reed
5. 'Union Love Juice' - Michael Franti
6. 'Peace Pin Boogie' - Kurt Elling
7. 'Voice' - Ani Di Franco
8. 'I Heard A Man Talking' - Studs Terkel
9. 'Old Folks' - Nellie McKay
10. 'On The High' Lonesome - Chris Whitley
11. 'There's a Feeling in the Music' - Pete Seeger & Tony Trischka
12. 'You Know the Night' - Jackson Browne