Only Fools and Horses most memorable festive TV moment
- Bang Showbiz
- 1 December 2010
Only Fools and Horses' Batman and Robin scene is Britain's most memorable Christmas TV moment, according to a new poll undertaken by the GOLD channel
Only Fools and Horses' Batman and Robin scene is Britain's most memorable Christmas TV moment.
The classic sketch - which sees Del Boy (David Jason) and Rodney (Nicholas Lyndhurst) arrive at a fancy dress party in superhero costumes only to discover the event is actually a wake - was voted by 50 per cent of British adults as their best-loved festive TV programme in a poll undertaken by GOLD.
With animated shows 'Wallace and Gromit: The Wrong Trousers' and 'The Snowman' taking second and third place respectively, comedy Christmas specials - including 'The Vicar of Dibley', 'The Royle Family' and 'The Office' made up most of the top ten favourite festive TV moments.
However, BBC One soap EastEnders' iconic episode where dirty Den (Leslie Grantham) handed over divorce papers to wife Angie (Anita Dobson) on Christmas Day also managed to squeeze into the top 10 at number nine.
Paul Moreton, GOLD channel head, said: "Great TV is one of the pillars of what makes a fantastic Christmas and what unites families."
Meanwhile, the poll revealed the average British family will watch four-and-a-half hours of TV every single day throughout the festive season, with almost a quarter of people admitting to having the television on while they sit down to eat their Christmas meal.
FULL LIST OF TOP 10 MOST MEMORABLE CHRISTMAS TV MOMENTS:
1. 'Only Fools and Horses: Heroes & Villains' (1996) 50%
2. 'Wallace and Gromit: The Wrong Trousers' (1993) 29%
3. 'The Snowman' (1982) 25%
4. 'Vicar of Dibley: Christmas special' (1996) 24%
5. 'Royle Family: Christmas special' (1999) 23%
6. 'The Office: Christmas special' (2003) 19%
7. 'Gavin and Stacey: Christmas special' (2008) 18%
8. 'Father Ted: Christmas special' (1996) 17.5%
9. 'Eastenders' - Den gives Angie divorce (1986) 14%
10. 'Doctor Who - Voyage of the Damned' (2007) 11%
Gold's '25 days of Xmas' launches today (01.12.10) and runs throughout December.