Simon Cowell's Auto-Tune ban
'The X Factor' judge Simon Cowell has banned staff from 'The X Factor' from using Auto-Tune in any upcoming episodes of the show
Simon Cowell has banned staff on 'The X Factor' from using Auto-Tune in any upcoming episodes.
The music mogul was furious after learning that several audition tapes had been tweaked using the voice-improving software, and has demanded producers re-edit upcoming shows to feature the original audition vocals.
He told the Daily Mirror newspaper: "I'm very angry it was used in the way it was on Saturday night. It was totally wrong and we can't allow it to happen again. I'm mortified by what's happened. The most important thing now is to ensure viewers can trust what they see on the show."
The show was heavily criticised after it was revealed audition clips on the opening episode, which aired on Saturday (21.08.10) to 12.2 million viewers, had been improved using Auto-Tune.
Meanwhile, singer Katie Waissel is convinced she'll be able to stay in the competition, despite her record deal in America.
The quirky contestant - who apparently has a record deal in the US, something which is not allowed under 'X Factor' rules - is confident she won't be booted off the show because TV bosses and lawyers are trying to get her out of her current deal.
A friend of hers told The Sun newspaper: "She doesn't think she'll have to leave. Katie has been telling people that the X Factor will get her out of her US deal."
The 24-year-old star was put through to the boot camp stage of the show on Saturday (21.08.10), but by the next morning it was revealed she was under a two-year contract with Chamberlain Records in the US.
A spokesperson for the show revealed they were currently investigating the status of the alleged deal.
They said: "We are looking at the contractual situation. An existing contract is a breach of rules. We will look at the facts before making a decision."
A source added: "Nobody wants to lose Katie. Simon Cowell really likes her and she is obviously very talented."