The best pop, rock, jazz and folk
This article is from 2007.
• Make Model, My Cousin, I Bid You Farewell and diAgusto A bill heaving with acts, perhaps in an attempt to provide something for everyone. Sample all shades of the indie and rock spectrum with headliners Make Model (pictured), a Glasgow sextet unafraid to throw in a bit of surly electronica or blissful pop influence into their tasty, indie schmindie mix. Barfly, Glasgow, Fri 3 Aug. (Rock & Pop)
• Sue McHugh Quartet Jazz standards done with considerable style from Linlithgow’s most creditable export. Brel, Glasgow, Sat 4 Aug. (Jazz)
• Hey You Get Off My Pavement! A day of fine food and fine music in the space outside Mono. See feature, page 6. Mono, Glasgow, Sun 5 Aug. (Rock & Pop)
• Piping Live! Six days of sonorous puffing and panting culminating in the Scottish Pipe Band championships on the 11th. Various venues, Glasgow, Mon 6–Sun 12 Aug. (Folk)
• Edinburgh Youth Orchestra With Julian Lloyd Webber The world-renowned cellist teams up with the aspirant stars of tomorrow to celebrate the 150th anniversary of Elgar’s birth.
• Municipal Waste and SSS We just read this week that thrash metal is hip again so its OK to flag up the music we’ve been listening to on the QT. The headliners are a mucky bunch of smoke hard, play fast wastrels from the wrong side of Virginia. King Tut’s, Glasgow, Wed 8 Aug. (Rock & Pop)