Hitlist - The best books, comics & events
The best books, comics & events
• Harry Potter Week Regardless of whether you love or loathe JK Rowling’s teenage wizard and his fearsome chums, the publication of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, and the culmination of the most successful children’s book franchise ever, is cause for some kind of celebration. Various events, Edinburgh & Glasgow. See listings for full details.
• William Dalrymple The renowned Scottish historical writer gives a Bridge Reading on the third and final segment of his Mughal trilogy. National Library of Scotland, George IV Bridge, Edinburgh, Sun 22 Jul.
• Denise Mina The award-winning crime writer launches the latest title in her Paddy Meehan trilogy. Mitchell Library, Glasgow, Wed 1 Aug.
• Lin Anderson The Edinburgh crime queen returns with Dark Flight, the latest investigation by forensic scientist Rhona MacLeod. See preview. Hodder & Stoughton.
• Mark Watson The prodigiously talented stand-up’s second novel, A Light-Hearted Look at Murder, is an unsettling memoir peopled by sympathetic freaks. See review. Chatto & Windus.
• Tod Wodicka First-time author Wodicka has created an anti-hero to rival Garp and Yossarian in Burt Hecker, star of the disarmingly original All Shall Be Well; And All Shall Be Well; And All Manner of Things Shall Be Well. See review. Jonathan Cape.
• Batman A fresh batch of titles, chronicling the Dark Knight’s ongoing crusade against crime in Gotham, includes the compelling Snow. See reviews, The Batman Chronicles, Batman and the Mad Monk, Snow, Secrets. DC/Titan.