Brittany Murphy's family shocked
- Bang Showbiz
- 5 February 2010
Brittany Murphy's widower, Simon Monjack, is ''ridiculously upset'' after a coroner's report ruled she died of community acquired pneumonia and multiple drug intoxication on December 20
Brittany Murphy's widower is "ridiculously upset" after it was ruled she died of community acquired pneumonia and multiple drug intoxication.
Simon Monjack admits he and the actress' mother, Sharon, were shocked by the findings from the Los Angeles County Department of Coroner following her death on December 20, as he didn't think she was as ill as investigators discovered.
He told People.com: "I'm ridiculously upset. Everything surprised me and Brittany's mom about the report. I expected the cause of death to be her heart."
"She was not that ill. She wasn't coughing up. I've had pneumonia and coughed up handfuls of spittle. So yeah, everything surprised us, everything."
The coroner's Chief Assistant Ed Winter also attributed iron deficiency anaemia to contributing to her accidental death and ruled there were no illegal drugs found in her system.
However, he said the 32-year-old 'Clueless' star's death could have been prevented if she had been taken to hospital earlier.
He said: "It is true that I believe her death could have been preventable but she was actually very sick with pneumonia and was anaemic and she was taking prescription and over-the-counter medicine.
"Tragically, her mother had made an appointment for her to visit a doctor but she died just a few days before and they will always have to live with that."
When asked what he thought about Winter's statement, Monjack replied: "I don't know what he said so I don't want to comment on what I haven't seen."
Winter also revealed there will be no criminal charges in Murphy's death.
He added: "Brittany Murphy was not a juvenile who was directly in her parents' care - she was an adult."
A full autopsy report is expected to be released within two weeks.