2009 Mercury Prize shortlist announced
Listen to all these albums now in Spotify (sorry, no Led Bib, The Invisible or Lisa Hannigan).
The shortlist for this year's Mercury Prize - the annual £20,000 award for the best album by British and Irish artists - was revealed this morning. The twelve albums nominated were announced by Lauren Laverne at The Hospital club in London's Convent Garden.
Kasabian, The Horrors, Bat For Lashes and the Scottish indie rock band Glasvegas are all in the running. Relative newcomers Florence And The Machine - who won this year's Brit Award - and Friendly Fires have also been nominated. The latter's self-titled debut album has only been given an outside by bookies.
The 2009 prize ceremony will take place in London on September 8th, the winner to be decided by the panel of judges on the night.
- Bat For Lashes – 'Two Suns'
- Florence and the Machine – 'Lungs'
- Friendly Fires – 'Friendly Fires'
- Glasvegas – 'Glasvegas'
- The Horrors – 'Primary Colours'
- La Roux – 'La Roux'
- Led Bib – 'Sensible Shoes'
- The Invisible - 'The Invisible'
- Lisa Hannigan – 'Sea Sew'
- Kasabian – 'West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum'
- Speech Debelle – 'Speech Therapy'
- Sweet Billy Pilgrim – 'Twice Born Men'