5 Reasons to go see: We Were Promised Jetpacks
1. Great band name Often overlooked as an essential requirement for a great band is the need for a cracking band name. We Were Promised Jetpacks has just the right amount of off-kilter comedy and poignancy to get across their bittersweet, scintillating and raucous indie rock squall.
2. They’re just wee bairns Average age still only 21, the four guys in the band met at school in Edinburgh in 2003, won a battle of the bands competition shortly after, then decamped to Glasgow when they came of drinking age.
3. Vanity Fair love ‘em The legendary American style mag raved about their recent appearance at the South by Southwest festival in Texas – and quite rightly so.
4. They’re all about the miracle of life Stand out track on the band’s fantastic debut album, These Four Walls, is the epic ‘Keeping Warm’, which says it all: ‘The chances of being born are so slim, so keep warm, so keep warm, so take some heart in being born.’
5. They’re probably braniacs All four band members are still at university. Their record label Fat Cat are apparently fine with them finishing their studies, which means world domination will have to wait a year or two.
Cabaret Voltaire, Edinburgh, Tue 9 Jun; King Tut’s, Glasgow, Mon 15 Jun.