5 Reasons to Go See - Beardyman
This article is from 2009.
1. He’s got a world of music in his mouth Yes, it’s the wonderful world of beatboxing and Beardyman, aka Londoner Darren Foreman, is up there with the very best. It’s not just extraordinary beats the man can reproduce, but also copycat singing voices, other instruments, a huge array of sound effects and anything else you can think of.
2. He was inspired by the best He was apparently inspired to take up beatboxing after attending a Rahzel gig in 2002, and leaving the venue with his jaw suitably scraping the floor. Although the way he tells it, ‘the great mountain gorillas of Azerbaijan taught me the way of the breath drum’. Right.
3. He’s daft as a box of frogs He sometimes appears as a German professor before breaking into his routine. He appeared at Bestival dressed as a monkey. He occasionally impersonates Elvis. All in a day’s work.
4. His ‘Kitchen Diaries’ 3.3 million hits on Youtube and rising, this awesome sketch cooking up beats in a kitchen is guaranteed to put a smile on your face.
5. He’s an award winner Beardyman was 2006 UK Beatbox Champion, and then became the only person to retain the title in 2007. Says it all, really.
King Tut’s, Glasgow, Thu 9 Apr.