Hitlist - Books
● Jason Donald Born in Dundee and raised in South Africa, Donald came back to Scotland to study creative writing at Glasgow. See the spectacular results at the launch of his debut novel, Choke Chain, a gripping tale of growing up in the threatening backdrop of South Africa. See feature. Waterstone’s, Glasgow, Thu 19 Feb; Jonathan Cape.
● Dirk Wittenborn In a novel of intrigue, murder and the pains of mental illness, Wittenborn manages to create a social commentary that spans five decades yet never lacks depth. See review. Bloomsbury.
● Richard Milward See preview. Faber.
● Doug Johnstone Another young Scottish writer filled to the brim with talent. Celebrate the release of his paperback concerning the exploits of eponymous band, The Ossians, with an evening of readings and music. Word Power Bookshop, Edinburgh, Thu 26 Feb.
● Writers’ Bloc: Doyle M for Murder Expect laughter and a pleasurable bewilderment with the spoken word group’s unique retelling of the works of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. May include Nazi dinosaurs. The Pleasance Cabaret Bar, Edinburgh, Thu 26 Feb.
● Fundraising event for Gaza Give your support to the civilian victims of the latest conflict in the disputed land. Hear spoken word takes from Scottish literature legends such as Tom Leonard and Alasdair Gray in an event supported by the Scottish Palestine Solidarity Campaign. The Argyle Bar, Edinburgh, Sat 28 Feb.