Hitlist - Visual Art
● Close Up Last chance to catch this highly recommended show, curated by Dawn Ades and Simon Baker, which explores the development and impact of the extreme close-up in early 20th century photography and film. Fruitmarket Gallery, Edinburgh, until Sun 11 Jan.
● Theatre Sets Italian photographer Ines Gennuso explores the relationship between documentary and fine art in an exhibition of photographs of theatre sets from Scottish productions. The Arches, Glasgow, until Mon 19 Jan.
● Charles Avery: The Islanders: An Introduction This absorbing exhibition provides an insight into rising star Avery’s ongoing project in which he explores the creatures, topology and cosmology of an imaginary island. Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art, Edinburgh, until Sun 15 Feb.
● rep’e.t’tion A beautifully crafted and considered show, featuring works by local and international artists who share a common interest in the idea of repetition. As well as providing a compelling introduction to the work of the featured artists, the exhibition shows off curator Sorcha Dallas’ considerable talents. Sorcha Dallas, Glasgow, until 17 January.
● Karla Black New sculptural works created from found household materials by the Scottish artist. Mary Mary, Glasgow, Sat 10 Jan–Sat 14 Feb.