5 Things you might not know about - The Mighty Boosh
- Noel Fielding and Julian Barratt decided to become a double act while appearing as a penis and a whale in Stewart Lee’s 1997 Edinburgh show, King Dong v Moby Dick. Lee in turn directed their ‘99 bonanza Arctic Boosh which was nominated for the Perrier.
- One of their few rows occurred just before a show in Edinburgh after Noel accidentally put one of Julian’s shirts in a coloured wash.
- With four years difference, Julian sometimes acts like a big brother to Noel and once threatened to attack a stand-up comic who had insulted Noel during his act.
- While praising Barratt’s work as the ‘freelance scientist’ in the late 90s drink ads for Metz, plummy Peter York insisted that Julian’s Judderman ‘has the same effect on girl viewers as Colin Firth playing Mr Darcy’.
- A former art student, Fielding put on an exhibition in London’s Gallery Maison Bertaux at the beginning of 2008 entitled Psychedelic Dreams of the Jelly Fox. It featured paintings of Bryan Ferry, Mick Jagger and one of Terry Wogan, entitled ‘Wogan Josh’ as it looked more like a curry than the Irish broadcaster.
SECC, Glasgow, Wed 14 Jan.