Hitlist - Visual Art
● Charles Avery, The Island: An Introduction A visually arresting, provocative and playful introduction to Avery’s ongoing project, charting the creatures, topology and cosmology of an imaginary island. Highly recommended. See review. Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art, Edinburgh, until Sun 15 Feb.
● Gerhard Richter Last chance to see this superb retrospective of paintings by one of the greatest German postwar artists. National Gallery of Scotland Complex, Edinburgh, until Sun 4 Jan.
● Eva Rothschild This solo show of new and enduring work by the Irish-born artist is a must for those who like their sculpture substantial, gutsy and assured. See review. The Modern Institute, Glasgow, until Fri 19 Dec.
● The Two Alasdairs The author and painter Alasdair Gray may be the better-known of the two artists featured in this retrospective, but the large-scale oil paintings, smaller collages and pop-influenced works of Gray’s contemporary and friend, Alasdair Taylor, who died in 2007, are also well worth a look. See review. Mackintosh Gallery, Glasgow School of Art, until Sat 10 Jan.
● Ines Gennuso: Theatre Sets The close relationship between documentary and fine art is explored in an exhibition of photographs of theatre sets from Scottish productions by the Italian artist. See preview. Arches, Glasgow, until Mon 19 Jan.