Halloween Special - Events
This article is from 2008.
● Ruth ‘The Truth’ Urquhart Borders Books, Fort Kinnaird Retail Park, 390 Provan Walk, Edinburgh, 0131 657 4041. 7pm. £5. The woman known as Britain’s only psychic agony aunt hosts a Halloween style psychic group meeting.
● City of the Dead Hallowe’en Festival Parliament Square, High Street, Edinburgh, 0131 225 9044. 7pm–midnight. £8.50 (£5–£6.50). History and horror on a special Halloween graveyard tour to investigate the world’s best documented supernatural case – the Mackenzie Poltergeist.
● Vivian French Borders Books, Fort, Kinnaird, Edinburgh, 0131 657 4041. 10am. Free. Vivian French, author of dark fairytale The Robe of Skulls, brews up some Hallowe'en tales followed by a Q&A session.
● Our Ladies of Sorrow Wee Red Bar, eca, 74 Lauriston Place, Edinburgh, 0131 229 1003. 7-10pm. £4. Keeping up their annual tradition, Edinburgh band OLOS will play out a synth prog opera inspired by 1970s Italian soundtrack-rockers Goblin, while terrifying and tacky images from giallo horror movies are projected.
● Cheesecake – Night of the Living Tease Capitol, 468 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow, 0141 331 1040. 8pm. £6. Trick or tease? It’s time to get your frocks on and join some of Scotland’s best new burlesque performers.
● Ghostly Goings On Camera Obscura and World of Illusions, Castlehill, Royal Mile, Edinburgh, 0131 226 3709. 10am–5pm. £7.95 (£6.50; children £5.50; under 5s free). As if the attractions at Camera Obscura aren’t trippy enough, in addition to the regular exhibits, the tower will be transformed with terrifying tricks, treats and the Pumpkin Trail. Face-painting by Annie D. Children admitted free in full costume.
● National Tell a Story Day: Halloween Tales Royal Botanic Garden, 20a Inverleith Row, Edinburgh, 0131 552 7171. 1–4pm. Free. Be spooked out by some scary storytelling in the Haunted Forest. Come and share your own stories … if you dare! Part of the Scottish International Storytelling Festival.
● Halloween Myth and Magic Newhailes, Newhailes Road, Musselburgh, 0131 653 5595. 6–7.30pm. £2 (£1). Don your scariest costumes for a spooky night walk on the estate. Throw your energies into a pumpkin competition and some fantastical storytelling.
● Supernatural History Tours Mary King’s Close Tours, Meet at Mercat Cross (beside St Giles’ Cathedral), Edinburgh, 0131 557 6464. 6–9pm. £10 (£9; 6 for children). See Tue 28.
● City of the Dead Hallowe’en Festival Parliament Square, High Street, 0131 225 9044. 7pm–midnight. £8.50 (£5–£6.50). See Thu 30.
● Samhuinn West Parliament Square, in front of St Giles’ Cathedral, Edinburgh, 0131 558 8110. 8.30–11.30pm. Free. On the night when the veil between the worlds thins, join Beltane Fire Society for summer’s last dance down the Royal Mile, before winter and darkness overcomes us.
Activities & events
● Halloween Party National Museum of Rural Life, Wester Kittochside, Philipshill Road, East Kilbride, 0141 247 4377. 5–7pm. Free. Welcome in Halloween with traditional apple dunking, ghost tales and holiday crafts
● Hallowe’en at Camperdown Wildlife Centre Camperdown Park, Coupar Angus Road, Dundee, 01382 431811. 6–7.30pm. £3.30 (£1.05–£2.75). Nocturnal tours of a witch’s favourite animals. Enter the Goblin’s Castle for storytelling or brew ingredients in the Witch’s House. Booking essential.
● Full Moon Frolics Bowhill Theatre, Bowhill House, Bowhill, Selkirk, 01750 22204. 6–9.30pm. £10 (£8). An evening of spooky fun and frolics in the grounds of Bowhill House, with ghost walks, games and spooky cooking. There’ll be full moon fun for all the family.
● Air and Scare Halloween Party National Museum of Flight, East Fortune Airfield, 01620 897240. 6.30–8pm. Free. Put on your scariest outfit and revel in the haunted hangar if you dare …
● Halloween Fright Night Vogrie House, Vogrie Country Park, Gorebridge, 01899 229059. 7pm. £tbc. A ghost hunt at Vogrie House featuring a special guest appearance from medium and Living TV star Johnnie Fiori. All proceeds will go to Macmillan Cancer Support.
● The Guid Crack Club Scottish Storytelling Centre, 43–45 High Street, Edinburgh, 0131 556 9579. 10pm. suggested donation £3. A special night of stories and songs for Hallowe’en.
● Boo at the Zoo Edinburgh Zoo, Corstorphine Road, 0131 314 0350. 7–9pm. £15–£17 (£10–£12). Those cuddly critters at the zoo might not seem so friendly after you hear some of the myths and legends about them. For brave souls aged 12+.
● Halloween Party Night David Marshall Lodge, Achray Forest, Queen Elizabeth Forest Park, Aberfoyle, 01877 382258. 4.30–8pm. £8. A magician, fire-breather, juggler and ghost story teller will all convene by the campfire for a night of fun and spooks. All children must be accompanied, BBQ and drinks included in ticket price.
● Frights on the Night Cardrona Forest, Innerleithen, Peebles, 01750 721120. 6–8.30pm. Free. Aimed at nursery and primary aged children, this evening of craft activities offers an alternative to the frightening Halloween goings-on elsewhere in the Borders.
● Fright Night RSPB Lochwinnoch Nature Reserve, Largs Road, Lochwinnoch, 01505 842663. 6–9pm. £1. Be prepared for a spooky time as you walk through the woods meeting creepy characters. Tours leave every half hour. Booking essential.
● Halloween Night Horror Almond Valley Heritage Centre, Millfield, Livingston, 01506 414957. 6–9pm. £5 (£3.50). Come after hours to can ride on the ghost train, explore the candlelit trail and relish all kinds of scary games. Come dressed up.
● Chatelherault Halloween Special Chatelherault Country Park, Carlisle Road, Hamilton, 01698 426213. 6pm. £tbc. All sorts of spooky fun and nonsense will take place at Chatelherault including a scary supper and a terrifying tour.
● Halloween Disco and Ghost Tour Scottish Mining Museum, Lady Victoria Colliery, Newtongrange, 0131 663 7519. 6.30–8.30pm. £5. A Halloween disco for primary school age children with dancing, fancy dress competition, ghost tours, crafts and refreshments.
● A Haunting Halloween at Kellie Castle Kellie Castle, Pittenweem, Fife, 0844 493 2184. 6.30–8.30pm. £6. Haunted tales and tours of the castle with a competition for the best costume. Booking essential.
● Witches Gathering Lauder Car Park, Glenbranter Forest, Argyll Forest Park, Dunoon, 01369 860703. 7–9pm. £2. Gather your courage and enter the ‘Spectacular Floodlit Witches Walk’. Give the spooks a run for their money by wearing your own terrifying costume, ducking for apples and having your face painted.
● Halloween Party Cumbernauld Theatre, Kildrum, Cumbernauld, 01236 732887. 7.30pm. Free. Get dressed up for games, spooky stories and apple dooking.
● The Puffin Club Scottish Seabird Centre, The Harbour, North Berwick, 01620 890202. 2–3pm. £7.95 (£5.95; children £4.50; under 4s free). A special story-tastic spooky Puffin Club for both National Tell a Story Day and Halloween.
● Ghost Tours of RRS Discovery Discovery Point, Discovery Quay, Dundee, 01382 309060. 7pm. £3 (£1.50). Hear ghostly tales of sailors past on board RRS Discovery. A fun and entertaining evening for all the family.