What to do in an emergency

  • The Midgie
  • 1 October 2008

In an Emergency

■ Call 999 for the police, ambulance, coastguard and fire services.

Stolen Property

■ In the first instance phone the police.A crime report can be taken over the telephone and a reference number issued if the theft is considered low value and there are no suspects. You’ll need this reference number when you contact your insurance company.

■ Where the value of the property is high, or there are suspects, police officers will generally come to the location and speak to you.

■ Alternatively, a crime can be reported to the police at the counter of a local police station. Again, a reference number will be issued.

■There are no forms to be filled in. Police staff will record all the details of any incident.

■ Should your insurance company require a copy of the crime report they will request it directly from police headquarters.This is normal practice for all insurance companies.

■ Most consulates/embassies are able to issue emergency passports that will get you home.They can also help you contact your family and organise a money transfer.

Post a comment