List picks: Books and comics
- The List
- 4 September 2008
- Christopher Brookmyre With music from Billy Franks, the Paisley writer puts on an unusual event to publicise his latest book, A Snowball in Hell, while a couple of days later he's on more familiar book signing type ground. Liquid Room, Edinburgh, Tue 9 Sep; Borders Books, Glasgow, Thu 11 Sep.
- Ziauddin Sardar In Balti Britain, the esteemed cultural commentator delivers an evocative exploration of Asian identity in the modern UK. Granta.
- Annie Proulx A return to Wyoming for Fine Just the Way It Is, another collection of vibrant short stories which prove Proulx to be in a class of her own. Fourth Estate.
- Janice Galloway The Glasgow-based author of Clara and The Trick is to Keep Breathing brings us a moving memoir of her Ayrshire childhood. Granta; Mitchell Theatre, Glasgow, Wed 10 Sep.
- David Simon A true crime treat with Homicide and a Glasgow appearance from the Baltimore scribe behind The Wire. Canongate; GFT, Glasgow, Thu 18 Sep.
- John Wagner, Alan Grant & Various With his catchphrase of 'I am the law', Judge Dredd has proved himself to be a true comics icon. In The Complete Case Files 10, we look back to some of the work on him from the mid-80s, and it's a collection full of scary prophecies and biting satire. Rebellion.