Mitch Winehouse defends Amy
- Bang Showbiz
- 30 July 2008
Amy Winehouse's father has denied she took a deliberate drugs overdose.
The 'Rehab' singer was rushed to London's University College Hospital on Monday (28.07.08) after she suffered convulsions, and Mitch claims she fell ill after taking a double dose of prescription medication.
He said: "Amy did not take a deliberate drug overdose. She is on medication to wean her off hard drugs and she took the wrong amount. She took two doses instead of one by mistake.
"The drug replacement is an opiate and caused her to feel ill and have a fit."
Mitch also insisted Amy - who was released from hospital yesterday (29.07.08) - is doing "the decent thing" by trying to kick her drug habit and deserves more sympathy.
He added to Britain's Daily Star newspaper: "She is doing the decent thing by trying to help herself and get off hard drugs. She doesn't seem to be getting the recognition and credit she deserves."
Despite Mitch's claims, other reports suggest Amy collapsed after mixing her medication with alcohol during a four-hour drinking binge.
The singer is alleged to have taken part in a drinking game which saw her down shots of rum and then take 11 different prescription pills.
A source told Britain's Daily Mirror newspaper: "Amy was downing the neat spirit as part of a card game and generally having a great time with her friends at her home.
"But the problems started when she then took her medication - all 11 tablets - and all hell broke loose. She clutched her stomach and was in such agony that everyone genuinely feared the worst."