Cary Fukunaga named as the director of Bond 25
- Bang Showbiz
- 20 September 2018
American filmmaker Cary Fukunaga has been named as the new director of 'Bond 25'
Cary Fukunaga is the new director of 'Bond 25'.
The 41-year-old director - who previously helmed the 2011 romantic drama 'Jane Eyre' and 2015's 'Beasts of No Nation' - has been announced as the man to replace Danny Boyle, who walked away from the project over "creative differences".
Producers Michael G Wilson and Barbara Broccoli said: "We are delighted to be working with Cary. His versatility and innovation make him an excellent choice for our next James Bond adventure."
It's been confirmed, too, that the movie - which is being filmed at Pinewood Studios in March next year - will be released on February 14, 2020.
The movie's future was thrown into doubt in the aftermath of Boyle's exit from the project, with speculation suggesting that it could face a lengthy delay.
However, the speedy appointment of Fukunaga has ensured that 'Bond 25' - which is expected to be Daniel Craig's last outing as the British spy - won't be badly hindered by Boyle's abrupt departure.
The much-discussed movie was originally slated for release in November 2019.
Meanwhile, a source previously claimed that Boyle's decision to walk away from the movie centred on plans to kill off Bond.
The source said: "There were discussions about killing off Bond in dramatic fashion at the end. It would also leave it open for a twist in the next instalment - either Bond hadn't died or there could be a 'Doctor Who'-esque regeneration with a new actor.
"There were clashes over budget and there's pandemonium among crew with people leaving the production left, right and centre."
The decision to quit the project was announced on the movie's official Twitter page.
The post read: "Michael G Wilson, Barbara Broccoli [producers] and Daniel Craig today announced that due to creative differences Danny Boyle has decided to no longer direct Bond 25 (sic)"