- Telephone 0131 629 3327
- Bar open Sun–Thu 11am–midnight; Fri/Sat 11am–1am
- Food served Mon–Sun 11am–10pm.
- Average price £12 (lunch); £12 (evening meal)
- Website www.bodabar.com
This review is taken from the current (2014) edition.
Holyrood’s Hemma has become one of Edinburgh’s go-to venues for relaxed family time. Although grabbing its share of the nearby after-work crowd, popular kid-friendly weekend brunches are the main event with chilled-out staff ensuring its nice and relaxed and just enough to amuse waning wee ones. Manna House bread gets the French toast treatment as appealing brunch options support an eclectic all-day menu which exposes its Scandinavian roots in an impressive smoked trout and marinated herring smorgasbord, alongside well composed salads and clean tasting mains. Two-storey windows bathe the main bar and the hovering mezzanine in light with a confidently mis-matched selection of timber tables, retro armchairs and sink-in sofas. When the tots have skipped away, the grown-up bar takes over with a good range of draughts and the odd cask ale, as well as a healthy cocktail list and carefully selected bottled ciders and lagers imported by the Swedish owners.
- High point: Great spot for family-friendly weekend brunches
- Low point: Daytime visitors forgetting it’s a good evening bar too
- Notable dish: Smorgasbord
- Private dining: 280 (150 downstairs and 130 in mezzanine)
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Easy listening mixed bag
- Live entertainment: occasional bands
- Capacity: 130
- Largest group: 130 for drinks and buffet, 50 for a sit-down meail
- Open since: May 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 14
- House wine: £13.90 per bottle
There is 1 event at this location
Sorted by title / date & time
Do It Commando
A former marine whips your derriere into shape by making you break down in tears in Holyrood Park (will get a nice six-pack out of it, though).
Comments & ratings
Average rating 3 reviews of Hemma./5 from RSS feed of these comments