The Art School
- Telephone 0141 353 4410
- Bar open Mon–Sat noon–midnight; Sun 12.30pm–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Fri 10am–10pm; Sat/Sun noon–10pm.
- Average price £10 (lunch); £10 (evening meal)
- Website theartschool.co.uk
Jump to comments
This review is taken from the 2012 edition.
While The Glasgow School of Art is renovated, the union has made its home here in the Beresford building. It’s suitably scruffed up –- creative doodles on the wall, candle-lit tables, and lots of students (though all are welcome). There’s a friendly, arty atmosphere, with a bit of the Vic Bar‘s spirit (and cheap beer) in there too. The succinct menu can be a bit out there: quinoa, which tastes like a cross between couscous and rice, comes mixed with basmati, atop sweet potato, amongst cucumber, yoghurt and pomegranate. Not for everyone, but it’s full of textures, with a delicate nuttiness. On the other end of the spectrum, ox cheek pudding is a deep, meaty fellow, offset by a suet casing. Old-fashioned and really rather good. For the very fair prices, and with the pretty unique vibe of the place, it’s a welcome addition to the Sauchiehall strip.
- High point: The bohemian atmosphere…
- Low point: …but it's too 'studenty' for some
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- Private dining: Up to 40 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Live music, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: DJs most nights - a very wide spread of left-field music
- Largest group: 15
- Open since: 2011
- House wine: £8 per bottle