City Art Centre Café
- Telephone 0131 226 4965
- Opening times Mon–Fri 8.30am–4.30pm, Sat 9.30am–4.30pm, Sun noon–4.30pm
- Food served Mon–Fri 8.30am–3.30pm; Sat 9.30am–3.30pm; Sun noon–3.30pm.
- Average price £10 (lunch)
- Website www.edinburghmuseums.org.uk
Jump to comments
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
The City Art Centre Café, now reopened after a refurb of the entire building, caters to a varied crowd of gallery visitors, regulars and passing trade – after all, it is handily placed opposite an entrance to Waverley Station. For folk who are up and about early enough, the breakfast menu will tempt with bacon rolls and veggie baps, while the lunchtime crowd can choose fresh, seasonal specials from the hot and cold plates as well as platters and warm, chunky filled rolls. Homemade soup, such as cauliflower, celeriac and stilton, comes with crusty bread. Tasty salads change on a daily basis and can be taken as a side or a main. Portions of the tart of the day are generous and feature such pleasing combinations as salmon with cherry tomato, spring onion, capers, fennel and anchovy. The sweet-toothed are sure to enjoy the array of cakes and bakes. The café has a spacious dining area and is very accommodating to those with wee ones.
- High point: Handy city-centre location
- Low point: Décor looks a bit dated
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Varied tunes
- Capacity: 60
- Open since: 2010