Henderson's @ St John's
- Telephone 0131 229 0212
- Bar open Mon–Sat 10am–3.30pm; Sun 11.30am–3.30pm.
- Food served Mon–Sat 10am–4.30pm; Sun 11.30am–4pm.
- Average price £10.50 (lunch)
- Website www.hendersonsofedinburgh.co.uk/st-johns.php
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
The St John’s Church ‘terrace community’ has developed into an ethical, modern-day conscience balm of businesses at the west end of Princes Street, from the One World Fairtrade shop to the Peace and Justice Centre. Henderson’s café sits harmoniously among them, bringing the organic, seasonal attitudes of Edinburgh’s original veggie restaurant to this principled corner. In summer there’s the wide churchyard patio on which to eat wraps, baked potatoes, soups and quiches featuring that month’s freshest veg, and in winter there is an atmospheric vaulted cellar with corners to hide in and eat vegan cake. Friday lunches feature musicians, and the walls provide gallery space for art exhibitions. The menu features classic, some might say retro, vegetarian staples of tofu-strewn salads, cheesy nachos and cheddar potato croquettes – but then why mess with a croquette? As ever Henderson’s caters not just to the vegetarian, but also the vegan and the gluten-free.
- High point: Being able to skip the café chains that dominate this area
- Low point: Insipid coleslaw demonstrates some frustrating inconsistencies
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Live music, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Laid-back tunes
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 2009
- House wine: £14.50 per bottle
There are 4 events at this location
Sorted by title / date & time
It's a vegetable that doesn't come without its repercussions, but the misfit asparagus is still rather delicious. Celebrate its long-standing status as a showcase ingredient as Henderson's chefs put it in everything they can think of, from starters to bakes.
Mon 3 Jun
Tue 4 Jun
Wed 5 Jun
Fifty Years Young: Family Day and Barbecue
Get the whole family out for this veggie BBQ, complete with kebabs and kids' activities. There's also a bicycle-powered smoothie maker on hand, which right there is reason enough to attend. Of course, it's all free, so there's that, too.
Regular local poetry meet, with readings of thought-provoking new verse and live music.
Sun 26 May
Vegetables Say 'Cheese' Exhibition Launch
Local artists from around Edinburgh have handed over their still life renditions of fruit and vegetables in photographs, paintings and drawings to help celebrate 50 years of Henderson's of Edinburgh vegetarian restaurant.