Malone's Irish Bar
- Box office 0131 226 5954
- General enquiries 0131 226 5954
- Bar open Sat–Mon noon–1am; Sun 12.30pm–1am.
- Food served Sun–Thu noon–8pm; Fri/Sat noon–9pm.
- Average price £13 (lunch); £13 (evening meal)
- Website www.malonesedinburgh.com
This review is taken from the current (2014) edition.
'When Irish eyes are smiling, sure, they steal your heart away.' So the famous song goes anyway, and Malones Irish theme bar seems to have stolen the hearts of a good many of Edinburgh's youth. Popular with students, thanks to the location, and backpackers, thanks to the 32-bed hostel attached, this place is busy almost every night despite its cavernous size. They're drawn here by the genuine welcome, the big screens showing live rugby and football, and the live music sessions that take place every night but Monday. The lively atmosphere is bolstered by university sports clubs who use the upstairs rooms as their post-training hangout, and by the occasional ceilidh in the summer months. The food is classic pub grub – burgers, nachos, fish and chips – but using surprisingly superior ingredients sourced from Eddie's fish market and Saunderson's butchers, and only Scottish beef and free-range chicken feature in the burgers. Quality chips and decidedly moreish homemade coleslaw seal the deal on this above-average pub food, and the bottles of hot sauce on every table are a nice touch too.
- High point: Surprisingly good pub food
- Low point: Shabby toilets
- Notable dish: The burgers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Mixed AOR
- Live entertainment: Scottish and Irish folk music almost every night from 9pm (10pm weekends)
- Capacity: 600 in bar
- Largest group: 300
- Open since: 2009
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- House wine: £11.95 per bottle
Comments & ratings
Average rating 3 reviews of Malone's Irish Bar./5 from RSS feed of these comments