The Arches Café Bar & Restaurant
- Box office 0141 565 1035
- General enquiries 0141 565 1035
- Opening times Mon–Sat 11am–midnight. Closed Sun.
- Bar open Mon–Sat 11am–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–9pm. Closed Sun (unless performance on).
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sat 5–9pm
- Average price £11 (lunch); £13.50 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £10.95
- Website www.thearches.co.uk
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
The question that springs to mind on entering the Arches underneath the Heilanman’s Umbrella does not concern its myriad of titles – bar, nightclub, theatre, live music venue, restaurant – but why one of the most relaxing spaces to drink and eat in Glasgow is not much busier at weekday twilight hours. Many a hungry traveller just across the road at Central Station may well be missing out on the moreish market (set) menu, which may include a main of roast chicken breast served with potato cake, duo of beetroot and a cider jus or a quirky sweet treat of warm chocolate brownie served with sweet red wine ice-cream. Pizzas offer a pleasant surprise too and not only due to the less-than-traditional choice of toppings – from pulled chilli pork to haggis and red onion – but because they are fabulously fresh-tasting and soft-based. The lunch and evening à la carte menus offer more traditional dishes from shepherd’s pie to fish and chips or fajitas, but still throw up an off-centre dish, such as the pork and haggis burger, here and there.
- High point: So much on offer
- Low point: Could market itself more in the station opposite
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 5
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Live music, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: soul/funk
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 2001
- House wine: £11.95 per bottle
Reviews & features
Valentine's Day - where to take your date3 Feb 2012
Some seductive suggestions for what to do on or around February 14th
Experience a May-December relationship ... or at least, vicariously experience someone else’s. Among the several films the Glasgow Film Theatre are screening to get you into the Valentines spirit on 14 Feb (including Brief Encounter and French…
Area guide to the Glasgow Film Festival17 Feb 2011
Kirstin Innes helps you bring the movies to life with our GFF-themed area guide
If you're interested in the Beyond Bollywood, Superheroes in Glasgow, Ceol's Craic or Fashion in Film strands, this is the Glasgow guide for you.
The Arches1 Oct 2008
From underground electro to avant garde theatre, the Arches offers a creative haven for every taste. David Pollock explains the appeal of this cavernous venue.
Produced by www.flixity.tv