- Box office 0141 946 5365
- General enquiries 0141 946 5365
- Food served Mon–Sat 8am–6pm; Sun 10am–5pm.
- Average price £8 (lunch)
This review is taken from the current (2014) edition.
Since 1999, the name and reputation of cosy, little North Star remains robust among the local community it serves. Accenting the traditional daytime café menu, current co-owner and chef Maurizio delivers a refreshingly grounded and understated Italian food philosophy where a sandwich with chicken will always be fresh and pan-fried and the chorizo will be of the fresh sausage variety and not cured. Underlining the menu are two daily changing specials that really are, quite special. Featuring modestly priced dishes like red mullet with sautéed courgettes, seafood risotto and tagliarini with goat’s cheese, cherry tomatoes and basil; quality overrides choice here as it’s hard to find such an authentically simple, Italian food offering elsewhere and within small café surroundings. Trying their finely perfected pastries and cakes (many of which are gluten-free) is also a must.
- High point: Modestly priced authentic Italian daily specials made fresh to order
- Low point: It may be too compact for some
- Notable dish: Taglierini with goat's cheese, cherry tomatoes and basil
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access
- Music on stereo: Radio
- Capacity: 24
- Largest group: 24
- Open since: 1999