The Canons' Gait
- Telephone 0131 556 4481
- Opening times Mon–Thu noon–11pm; Fri/Sat noon–1am; Sun 12.30–11pm
- Bar open Mon–Thu noon–midnight; Fri/Sat noon–1am.
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–9pm
- Average price £15 (lunch); £15 (evening meal)
- Website www.canonsgait.com
Jump to comments (7)
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
The Royal Mile isn't short on pubs, so you've got to do something to mark yourself out. In the case of the Canon's Gait, part of the DM Stewart group that also runs the venerable Abbotsford and Guildford Arms in the New Town, various points of engagement are offered. Primarily there's the real ale, with cask beer from progressive Scottish breweries such as Stewart and Highland Brewing across up to six hand-pulls. Folk music warms the place up on Wednesday and Saturday nights, and less conventionally it offers hi-fi as well as wi-fi with a record player and a pile of LPs in one corner along with an open invitation to spin some tunes. From day-to-day, however, it's a quietish pub in a fairly featureless room without booths, banquettes or sofas to break up the room and vary the seating options. The menu has certain ambition, and daily specials liven things a little with a smooth smoked haddock, sweet potato and spring onion soup or a venison casserole among the fish and chips, burgers and chicken balmoral.
- High point: Good local ales
- Low point: TV dominating on a slow day
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 5
- Private dining: Up to 80 covers
- Provides: Wheelchair access, Live music
- Music on stereo: Eclectic, lots of soft rock
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 40 upstairs; 60 downstairs
- Open since: 1996
- House wine: £12.95 per bottle
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 2 reviews of The Canons' Gait./5 from RSS feed of these comments