Evening events, Talks & lectures, Current affairs
- Filter by:
- 17:00 to 21:00
- Talks & lectures
- Current affairs
- Free events
Sorted by popularity / date & time
Talks, in French, about various aspects of French culture, hosted by the Institut Français.
Mon 8 Dec
£8 (Members £5) / 0131 225 5366
La Restauration: Napoleon abdicates on 6 April 1814. When he lands on Elba in 4 May, Louis XVIII becomes King in Paris. After the short experience of 1791, the constitutional monarchy now seems to be the best possible regime again for the French. The period, from 1814 to 1830, seems also to be the right time to experiment with the parliamentary system.
- 17:30 Café Histoire Institut Français d'Ecosse, Edinburgh
Discovering People: Camila Batmanghelidjh CBE
Camila Batmanghelidjh discusses life and society's treatment of young people facing challenging circumstances.
Wed 3 Dec
£10 (RGS-IBG members £7) / 020 7591 3000
- 19:00 – 20:30 Discovering People: Camila Batmanghelidjh CBE Royal Geographical Society (With The Institute Of British Geographers), London
Edinburgh Ragged University Talks
Talks on a variety of themes organised by the Ragged University, promoting the message that learning is much more palatable when served up with a nice cold pint. There will be food provided and everyone is invited to bring an item of food to put on the table to share. All welcome.
Thu 4 Dec
Free / 0131 667 7533
Talks include ‘One Brain, Two Languages: Bringing Up a Bilingual Child' by Madeleine Beveridge and 'Dyslexia; What It Is And How It Has Affected Me' by Alex Dunedin.
- 19:00 – 22:00 Edinburgh Ragged University Talks Counting House, Edinburgh
The Royal Philosophical Society of Glasgow Lectures
Come listen to ideas fly around at these lectures intended to advance knowledge of arts and sciences.
Wed 10 Dec
Free donations welcome / 0141 548 3444
Orkney Research Centre for Archaeology on Excavations at the Ness of Brodgar.
- 19:30 – 21:00 The Royal Philosophical Society of Glasgow Lectures John Anderson Building, Glasgow
Wed 10 Dec
Hong Kong Theatre, Clement House
Free / 020 7955 6043
- 18:30 – 20:00 Shirley Williams On Vera Brittain London School Of Economics
Stewart Murdoch: Developing Leisure and Culture Provision
Stewart Murdoch discusses the current challenges that Dundee is facing in managing and developing leisure and culture provision.
Thu 15 Jan 2015
Prices to be confirmed / 01382 434607
- 19:00 Stewart Murdoch: Developing Leisure and Culture Provision Roseangle Gallery, Dundee